Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chapter 12 Response

As annoying as I find most self-righteous, save-the-planet-just-don't-ask-how hacks that typically infest YouTube and spew their nebulous political views all over those of us who only want to see laughing babies, it goes without saying that politics is, nevertheless, engrained in the fabric of the new media space.
Dr. Levinson's views and, frankly, some of the previous posts have illustrated pros and cons of using something as whimsical as YouTube or the Internet for something as serious as political campaigning.  Levinson's account of being recruited to cold-call Obama supporters and get them out to the polls is a perfect example of a use that makes my blood boil.  DO NOT SELL TO ME.  I love buying stuff, I hate being sold.  If I care enough about a political candidate taking office, rest assured I'll make my voice heard in the streets and in the voting booth.  Telemarketers, while I understand their position having been one myself, have no place in my home and private life.  Getting a cold call from an Obama representative reminding me to go vote would almost merit my opposite reaction out of spite.

However, YouTube addresses, weekly newsletters, all of that is fine by me as long as I ask for it, or go find it, whatever the case may be.  Until then, leave my David After Dentist and me alone.

1 comment:

  1. I think the key point, though, is how new media can be used to mobilize supporters, rather than persuade those who are not involved in campaigning.

    ReplyDelete