Tuesday, April 19, 2011

on becoming a wikipedian

Becoming a Wikipedia was a lot harder than I though it would be. It took me a while to figure out how to edit my entry to make it fit in seamlessly with the rest of the text. I also realized how tricky it is to make sure you're not violating any copyrights or plagiarizing anyone's work. I edited the page on my neighborhood (Sleepy Hollow in Marin County, CA) which had hardly anything at all written about it. Since it's a pretty small and private community I understand why not much was written, and so I wanted to maintain this sense of privacy. I chose, therefore, to write about the history of my neighborhood as there is a lot that has happened there despite it not being very well-known. I am happy to report that my entire entry as I wrote it is still there and someone else has even added more information to my topic. I don't know if I encouraged this person to contribute but it's nice that Sleepy Hollow now has the recognition it deserves.

*here's a link to the Wikipedia page for my wonderful little neighborhood :)

1 comment: