Saturday, March 5, 2011

Creepy?

So, I hate to admit that my friends and I were "those" people who tried to get a ton of friends on MySpace. Why? I have no idea, but we did, and we did a pretty good job. I thought it was awesome until I was at the mall one day and a random guy came up to me exclaiming, "Oh my god, Alison Renee!" Needless to say, I was thoroughly creeped out. I'm almost positive that I went home and created a new account for just people that I really knew. Regardless of that experience, I did like the things MySpace had to offer.

The part of MySpace that I concentrated on the most were the music pages. At that point in my life, I was going to shows constantly, and most of my friends were in bands, managing bands, or working for smaller labels. I liked being able to listen to the music of bands I hadn't heard before attending a show so I knew what to expect. These pages also allowed my friends and I to find out when certain bands would be playing in our area and where they were going to be performing. With Facebook, I think I only get event invites form one band whose members happen to be old friends so I almost felt obligated to accept their invites, like them, or what not. I also remember that when another friends' band dropped their deal with Eyeball Records, they changed their name to, "RIP Going.Home" and received a ton of feedback from their fans. All in all, I really liked MySpace for its music pages, but am glad that Facebook hasn't tried to copy it (to my knowledge) because I do not think it would work well at all; not to mention I can't see it being at all necessary.

Cool new MySpace..


2 comments:

  1. interesting that you did try to build up your friends list, which is a kind of celebrity, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried and I think I did pretty good... then I gave up and made a new account with only people that I knew. After my encounter, it seemed like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete